1.惯用口语句子:
Morning edition, please.
请给我晨版的。
Evening edition.
晚版的。
edition n. 版本
This is the best magazine.
这是的杂志。
this magazine is the best seller.
这本杂志很畅销。
best seller“畅销品”
I really like short stories.
我喜欢读短篇小说。
I usually read novels.
我通常读长篇小说。
I like to read science fiction.
我喜欢读科幻小说。
I'm interested in biography.
我对传记文学感兴趣。
novel n. (长篇)小说
fiction n. 小说
biography n. 传记
science fiction“科幻小说,科幻电影”
I prefer essays to poem8.
比起诗歌,我更喜欢散文。
essay n.散文,随笔
poem n. 诗歌
I advise you to read A Dream in Red Mansions.
我建议你读《纽楼梦》。
It's really a good book if you want a bit of light reading.
如果你想看点轻松读物,这本书真的不错。
mansion n. 大厦,官邸
《红楼梦》还可以译作“The Story吖the Stone”,中文为《石头记》。
I'd like a subscription to ONXIU English.
我想订—份<昂秀英语)。
I want a subscription.
我想订一份。
subscription n. 订阅
I'd like to renew my subscription.
我想续订。
I want to cancel my subscription.
我想取消订阅。
renew v. 续订,续借
cancel v. 取消
Do you know the circulation of this newspaper?
你知道这份报纸的发行量吗?
circulation n. 发行量
How would you **ment on this paper?
你对此报的评价如何?
**ment v. 评论,评价
2.实用对话
Reading阅读
Nicholas: What are you reading, Linda?
尼古拉斯:你在读什么呀,琳达?
Linda: I'm reading a novel The Mill on the Floss, written by the famous novelist, George Eliot.
琳达:我在读长篇小说《弗罗斯河上的磨坊》,是由小说家乔治·艾略特写的。
Nicholas: What's it about?
尼古拉斯:是关于什么的?
Linda: It is mainly about the relationship between a brother and a sister. who live in a mill on river Floss. It describes
their childhood and a dispute that causes them to separate. The book ends with them happily together again, but they were
both killed in the flood.
琳达:主要写了住在弗罗斯河上磨坊里的一对兄妹之间的关系。小说描写了他们的童年生活以及一次争论终导致他们各奔东西。这部小说以
他们愉快的团聚作为结尾,但是他们却在一场洪水中双双丧生。
Nicholas: Is it difficult to understand?
尼古拉斯:很难看懂吗?
Linda: Not really, I would consider it easy.
琳达:不是,我觉得很容易懂。
Nicholas: Besides novels, are there any other types of literary works that you indulge in?
尼古拉斯:除了长篇小说以外,你还喜欢读什么其他类型的文学作品吗?
Linda: I really like short stories.
琳达:我还喜欢读短篇小说。
Nicholas: Have you read anything else besides literature?
尼古拉斯:除了文学作品以外,你读其他的书吗?
Linda: Certainly I have. I like to read books on various subjects, and I read everything I can get my hands on in my spare
time. I don't want to id e away and waste my time.
琳达:当然读了。我喜欢看各种题材的书,在空闲时我拿到什么书就看什么书。我可不想闲呆着浪费时间。
Nicholas: I agree. People who don't read are no better of than people who can't read. I also agree that "Books are like food
for the mind."
尼古拉斯:我赞同。不读书的人并不比不能读书的人强。我还认为“书籍是人类精神的粮食。”
3.详细解说
1.“indulge in...”表示“沉迷于…”,例如:Most of us are too busy to indulge in heavy lunchtime drinking.(我们大部分人都太
忙了,中午不可能喝太多酒。)
2.“get one's hands on sth.”意为“成功获得某物”。
3.“idle away 意为“浪费(时间),虚度(光阴)”。例如:They idled their time away in the pub.(他们在酒吧里虚度了光阴。)
4.“better off'’为“well-off”的比较级,表示“境况较佳的”。“well-off”表示“小康的,(生活较)富裕的”。例如:They are
children from well-off families.(他们是富裕家庭出来的孩子。)